Saturday, November 17, 2007

yesterday...

Lately I have had nothing to write about. Nothing. And I still cant even think of anything. So, I am going to go way back and share memories from when I was little.

We have been swimming a lot lately and I am excited that Josh is coming with us today. First, because that means I will only have to change one child afterwards, and second, because dads are way more fun. I remember being so excited as a kid when my dad would throw on his trunks and join us in the pool or the lake or whatever. He gave the best surfboard rides and seemed like he could hold his breath forever.

I have been thinking about Honey, the ol' family pet lately, too. She passed on about a year and a half ago. Whenever I see the ridiculous pet Christamas stockings you can buy for pets at the store, I remember Honey and her little nose shoved into her stocking pulling out every last sniff of cheese. She could hear the cheese door of the fridge open form anywhere in the house (in her earlier days, anyways), and come running for a treat.

Other memories? As the season of giving aproaches, I recall that my mom still owes me a red velvet dress with a rather large white collar that she said she would make for me. It is probably close to 20 years overdue. I remember my mom dancing with lettuce in her mouth when we were camping. This is real vague.... not sure why she was doing this. I remember my dad's favorite phrase from the sidelines he would yell out when I missed a shot; "More arch!" I hated hearing that, but it always worked. I remember the day mom came home with a pet monkey for the family to babysit for three days from the zoo, and all the fuss that entailed. OK. That I just made up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are one lucky girl! With such great parents, no wonder you turned out so wonderful and full of fun! Your mom sounds like the kind of person I want to be when I grow up! And your doggie memories have sparked mine.... I think I'm goin' out puppy shopping!!!

stone's eye view said...

oh mother...

ec said...

i want to see the dress. the red one with the giant white collar.

speaking of white...i have your skirt. sorry...i will bring it to ya!

p.s. i love your mom.

Anonymous said...

I never ever heard your dad say that! I guess my mom drowned him out.

jessk said...

I think that every little girl had that dress at some point. I think that mine was blue though. I was reading everything that you wrote until I got to the monkey comment. I though "wow, so cool!" and then I realized that you were joking and my heart just fell. sigh, I want a monkey!