Wednesday, August 11, 2010

still alive

It has been awhile since my last post. Probably a record for me. Nothing like a move to keep one away from the computer. (Also, because we didn't have the internet for 2 weeks after we moved, rural internet is surprisingly pricey, I now see why so many get dial up).
Here is a recap of that has been going on.

Obviously, we are no longer the Saskastones. We are now is Stirling. I don't have anything quite as cute to call us. Any ideas?

We have removed the trees in front of the house under the window. You can now even see a door! I have also spent HOURS weeding a little flower garden in the backyard. Apparently grass is really really persistent. I have made 2 kinds of saskatoon jam (one is good and one not so good), homemade cherry pie from my own cherries, saskatoon muffins with fresh ground wheat and have plans for making some cherry preserves tonight. We are lucky to have so much fruit, but for some reason the people who planted all these trees planted no raspberries. Hopefully I will have some of those in the future.

The kids and I went to windermere for half a week. There were 9 kids and 3 moms. Not the numbers for a very relaxing vacation, but it was so fun to hang with such amazing friends and see our own kids learn to make friends with eachother.

We have been swimming at the Stirling pool a few times. It is almost like having a pool in the back yard. Not quite- but almost. We are really enjoying it. We went to a Southern Alberta parade and got lots of candy. We went to Writing on Stone provincial park.

Lots of family has come for visits. That is probably the best of everything. It is so nice to actually see people. Aside from my in-laws, no one made regular visits out to Saskabush. I guess trips here are more fun- especially when you can find dead, petrified fowl in the barn!

I competed in my first triathlon in Raymond. It was supremely awesome. I definitely plan on doing more of those in the future.

I think that is about it. We have spend hours and hours and hours in our yard. It is big and overgrown and hopefully overtime we can tame it a bit. Josh loves his new mower more than I would have ever guessed.

Check out these before and afters.




5 comments:

The Lawlor's said...

Your yard looks great!! I'm with Josh...I would love a ride on mower.

I would say Stirstones but that sounds funny. Actually to be honest, the first thing that popped into my head is Stirlones. It sounds closed enough to be connected to Salvester.

We are almost moved. Yipee. I know how you feel but am jealous that you are one step ahead of me. And that you have fruit in your yard.

Vanessa said...

Looks fantastic!! So glad things are going well and you are settled and happy! What a great place! Miss you tonnes though (even though I am not longer a Saskatoonian either).

missLaura said...

Wow!! The yard has transformed, I am so impressed!

ec said...

nice work. it looks awesome. i still cannot believe that you guys are gone. we'll let you know when we're around ...

ec said...

does the Stonelings work? definitely not as cute as the saskastones, but it might do the trick;)