Sunday, June 8, 2008

sunday thoughts

For the past three years Levi has gotten up and always wanted to come right into bed with us in the morning. I loved it! He would cuddle and just lay there for up to an hour. But he is so big now. He gets up and goes straight to the family room.
It all started a few weeks ago when Levi figured out what exactly he could do with lego. He would wake up, and instead of being all excited to see me, he would be excited to go and play with his lego. Now he doesn't necessarily play with his lego, but he'll just get up and go and play with whatever. He never bothers with me till he is hungry. Half of me likes this cause he is learning to be independent. It also means I can keep sleeping. But the other half wishes for my little boy to stay around forever. What am I to do if I have a hard time dealing with his small step of self-reliance, when one day he will live on his own possibly miles and miles away from me? How can I ever let go when easing up is so hard to do?

I remember when I moved away from home for the first time. My parents took me to the airport and I had to walk through those glass doors into the customs area. Swoosh! And just like that my parents were shut out from me and I was on my own. I was sad. I was scared. Did I show that to my parents? I don't know, I certainly tried not to. Were they anxious, worried, sad.....? I'm not sure.

I wonder what Heavenly Father feels like when he sends us here. Talk about letting go!

7 comments:

Marilee said...

It is hard to let them go for sure. Imagine if you only had one child. I ask Neal once in awhile to just stop stop growing so he can always be this age but he doesn't seem to want too. Darn! Then Michelle walked in my room all dresed up to go to the graduation dance and I got all sad. Next year this time she will be all grown up and ready to go to college. THAT will be hard! But what do you do? Have a nother baby to fill the void? Not me!

Anonymous said...

Your question about what Heavenly Father feels when he lets us go...he has faith that we'll return.

ec said...

amen, sister.

this is exactly how i've been feeling lately with 2 little ladies in the house who are both getting so old.

so sad.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. They always return.
Sorry. We did the happy dance.

stone's eye view said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stone's eye view said...

Thanks, Mom. I should have known better.

What do you mean your kids always return??!?!

becca olsen said...

great post, i'm just starting to understand. I mean, going from newborn to size one diapers should be a big deal right? wrong... oh dear!