Wednesday, June 18, 2008

mother

So.... how to write about me. Hmmmm...... How does one write about herself in an interesting manner, when her life is absolutely ordinary? I have the answer: she writes about her mother!!

My mom is a convert to the church. She joined in Kansas, while away from her hometown of Stillwater, Oklahoma, studying. She met my Dad there and was shocked when she first came to Canada to meet the family. She was expecting ice fields and dogsleds. (I now know that although southern Alberta does not necessarily fit that description, Saskatoon certainly is an ice field for most of the year).5 kids and many moves later, I am in the picture, growing up in Calgary. I have many memories about my mom.

I learned that she is much smarter than me the hard way. When I was around 16 I lied about seeing a certain movie with my friends, telling her instead that I was viewing How to Make an American Quilt. The next day after school, I find sitting on the dining room table a quiz just for me. Turns out my mom had caught the matinee of the Quilt movie, and wrote me up a short answer test to see if I had actually seen it. Of course I failed, and I was banned from movie theaters for the rest of the year.

My mom is very thorough. When I moved away from home for the first time my mom managed to send me 5000 miles away with six extra large moving boxes of everything but the kitchen sink. How we got all that transported by airlines to Texas for free is a mystery to all but her. I had a microwave, springform pans, duct tape, string, thumbtacks, laundry basket..... you name it, and I had it as soon as I walked in the door. Included was even a list of food to buy at the grocery store AND a separate list for Walmart for cleaners and an ironing board.

My mom and I look alike. We are the only blond-blue-eyed Cahoons of my immediate family. It sort of made us the black sheep. There are some pictures of me and when I look at them, all I see is my mom. Weird.

My mom is a very safety conscious person. I think the only time I was ever grounded was when I rode my bike without a helmet. Of course, I left the house with a helmet on - I would just stash it in the bushes once I was around the corner. You would think that a 15 year old would be smart enough to see a 15 passenger beast being navigated by their mom, cruising along the road. Unfortunately for me, I was not, and I was so busted. (Apparently I really would have needed the head protection). I later earned the nickname "Safety Sach," and consider it a trait of hers that I inherited.

This post could go on and on but I think I will end here. It is much easier to write about my mom than it is about me. I now see why a person can write a whole book about their mother. But, I think when we write about our mothers, we are really writing about ourselves. Because without my mother, who would I be?

12 comments:

Ashley Dawn said...

What a great tribute to your mom, Sach. You just forgot to add how funny she is - haha.

Anonymous said...

thats soo cute!

Anonymous said...

That is the scariest post I have ever read. Bar none.

Josh

Anonymous said...

Gee. What can I say. I don't even remember those happenings, except the movie. I actually don't think I saw it before I made up the quiz. I think I just made up generic questions, perhaps from a review. I do remember that after actually seeing the movie, I wouldn't have wanted you to see it.

I do appreciate greatly Josh Anonymous's post. (Actually, I think we woke the neighborhood up with our "loud laughter!"). Archie says that he is glad that Manya takes a little more after her dad. Hmmm...maybe not. Maybe that's not such a good thing, either. Now HE'S really scared, too. Arch and Josh can bond.

Thanks for not mentioning my dancing around the trailer with lettuce leaves hanging out of my mouth! Or climbing up on top of the big blue van in the parking lot and checking on you at Sundance Lake to see if you went in the water above your knees. And you forgot to mention how much I love Relief Society...
Oh, dear. Maybe I'd better just put both feet in my mouth and shut it.
To Josh: HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ec said...

yesssss...i've been waiting for your mama's comment.

love this post, sach. makes me smile.

stone's eye view said...

Wow, Mom. You yourself mentioned three things I was itching to write about but figured I shouldn't. I was saving those for the NOVEL that will be coming out in a few more years.

Anonymous said...

oh. I love mary. what about our trip to utah? That was classic.

stone's eye view said...

lets not mention what we composed in the car....

sarah said...

I love the fact that she had a list of what to buy at the grocery store. My husband's best friend, when he moved 16 hours away from home, his first grocery trip was amusing. He said he just started putting stuff in the cart, because he didn't know what to buy.
I should write that idea down.

missLaura said...

I love the post and I love the comments. At first I couldn't figure out why Josh said this post was the scariest. I get it now. That is funny.

Sarah said...

Sachie, this post is so funny. I love it, and your mom is so fun. I think it's so true that when we write about our moms we're also writing about ourselves in some way... as scary as that is! ;) Your posts are so fun.

Jackie S. said...

HEHE!!! What a fun post!!! It sounds like if you are like your mom then you are going to be a pretty fun lady!!! :)