Tuesday, September 2, 2008

twenty-eight


As children in my family, when we celebrated birthdays we always had a special test that we had to pass before my mother would make us a cake. It was a fairly easy test, the same one every year. My mom would ask us how old SHE was, and we would have to say 27. That was my mother's magical age of youth and beauty, I guess. Once we would say she was only 27, then the festivities would continue as normal.

Today I am officially older than my mother. I know, I know, the math doesn't quite add up, but oh well. I am 28 and have decided to no longer care about birthdays. I was SO SAD to turn 20. I could have been a teen forever. I have a picture of me a week before I turned 20, in front of a license plate that read 4EVER19. Oh well, I have decided to follow the attitude of a good friend and just no longer care. I am 28 and I am lucky to be alive!

6 comments:

ec said...

i'm the lamest friend on the planet. i even saw you today and knew it was your big day! happy birthday sach ... glad you moved (and stayed) here!!

Andy said...

happy birthday. love this post... and the pic. you are so cute... even at 28

missLaura said...

In case I didn't say it enough to you today, happy birthday! I took that picture of the license plate, good times. S & L superflies.

Anonymous said...

Ok. ok. I will officially change my age to 37 (another good year) in order to stay ahead of my aging children. I'm amazed at how old you all are getting. In my head I'm still 27/37. Just a lot smarter.

Marilee said...

Mary, you can't change the rules of the game like that! And I would love to know why the ages 27/37 were so great.....
Happy Birthday Sachie!!

Ashley Dawn said...

I'm with Marilee. I can't imagine being 28....haha. jks. Happy Birthday (belated this time).