Saturday, August 4, 2007

reverse parentology

Picture this: a mother of two young boys sprawled out on the floor in a hospital room with an ice pack on her neck as she fights to maintain conciousness. Nurses quietly step around her as they tend to the 2 year old who has just received his first stitches...
We still are not even sure how Levi cut his foot. The prime suspect is an open vent with a sharp screw sticking out of the side, (which has since been duct taped to the floor), but who knows? What I am amazed at is the calmness and ease at which my toddler handled the entire situation. Sure, I held him and kissed him and told him things would be fine, but my knees wanted to buckle and my stomach constantly churned. I am not sure how he knew, but Levi was incredibly intuitive. When we asked him what happened, all he would say is, "I'm gonna be OK, " in his little, reassuring voice. And as I held his hand on the way to the hospital, he was the one to squeeze my fingers tight, letting me know that things were fine.
But now all that is over; the wound is healing and Levi lets us dress it as needed. My thoughts turn to the future and I am scared. Is this bound to happen again? Did I grow up ever so carefully to avoid the hospital and serious injury, only to have my children take me there again and again as they find ways to hurt themselves? If my husband is any indication of what the future holds for me, (as far as Stone boys are concerned), I better toughen up and start dealing with this better. I can't always count on my 2 year old to give me the strength I need to help him get better. How on earth are they so tough? I want to learn.

P.S. I couldn't bring myself to get a picture of his foot, but here is a picture of Levi after the ordeal and after the blue popsicle the nurses gave him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man isnt scary!

Anonymous said...

please don't tell me you passed out???
Michelle