Thursday, July 23, 2009

better late than never


This post is a little late, but I wouldn't want to leave it out just cause of that.
Last week we were visited by my dad and nephew. He is 6 (not my dad, my nephew) and he and the boys had such a great time together!!

First, the boys enjoyed wrestling, dancing, driving cars etc etc. We got to go to the pool, to the candy store (Ty's fav by far), to the movies, and to numerous parks.

Having my dad around was wonderful. Maybe I should give some background info on my dad. He is the oldest of 11 kids and grew up on a farm; so he knows how to work. When I was growing up, he was always really kind when it came to chores. Maybe a little too kind. I would always ask my dad to "show" me how to do the chore, faking the inability to recall how to do it. In the end he would end up doing the chore for me.

Fast forward to now, it was great to have my dad asking me what he can do while I am feeding the baby, or bathing the kids, or brushing their teeth, or whatever. I got him to make his famous broccoli soup, fold laundry, do dishes, camp in the backyard with the boys.... the list goes on. He also read to his grandsons every night and we enjoyed piggy-backing kites in the park. Greater than that, however, was just watching my dad's example. You know how normally when someone is asked to pray they mumble a bit and either get nervous or pretend like they got the short end of the stick? Instead, my dad says, "Thank you," and then goes on with the prayer. I had never noticed that before and thought it was great.

There is also a story regarding this "fish." I came home from an appointment with the baby, and Jack was BAWLING his eyes out. He was so mad/sad that Grandpa Brucey had killed the dinosaur in order to make the fish. What's funny is Jack had come up with the idea to use the dino in the first place.

2 comments:

Jen - the mom said...

aren't dad's/grandpa's the best!? i love having my dad visit and watching how much my kids love their papa

tracey said...

The picture of your dad laughing with the boys in the tent is priceless. It really warmed my heart. Your did IS an awesome guy. Always so generous.