Monday, February 28, 2011

history

Lately I have been contemplating if I should bother keeping up a blog or not. Seems like the same old is the same old and there is nothing new or clever to write.

Enter my grade 9 diary.

And grades 10 and 11.

These things are hilarious! Written by someone with only half a brain most of the time, complete with the tedium and details of my everyday life (I wrote at least 3 times a week for much of it), highlighted by little interludes of genius - admittedly, unfortunately greatly interspersed . But seeing me grow up has been astonishing! I was such an idiot in grade 9. But by grade 12 I am finally starting to think straight. It has been most interesting and educational to revisit these teen years. Certainly makes me understand my young women a lot more.

I keep a journal now a days. But I write in it every few months or so. It is more for personal and spiritual matters and experiences. But now I realize that if I didn't keep this up tons of interesting information would be lost. Maybe not all that interesting to you, but I am certain 10 years from now I will reread some of these posts and think, "Oh, ya! I had forgotten about that!" or even "And I was complaining about that?!"

Years from now, believe it or not, the diaper stage will be long gone from our home. How will I ever remember the pleasures (ha!) of potty training if I dont write it down? Or sympathize with my children when they have to do the night time feeding routine. Or recall how scary it is to send your oldest child away to school. Or the daily tirades and fights of siblings and trying to get your middle child to eat his dinner or .......

So this on-line journaling stays. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

Thanks for the reminder to get back to my journal writing. I was an avid writer as a teenager, and I find my journals hilarious and terrifying to revisit. But since having kids, entries are few and far between. Guess I should get back at it!

missLaura said...

I have a journal I write in too. Only, I ever write in it when I find out that I'm pregnant or just had a baby.
You're better then me.

The Pratts said...

I totally agree! I'm "over" trying to make my blog interesting to other people. It's all for me and my family to look back at later. Glad you're keeping it up. I wish I kept a journal in high school. I think you should give us some snipits of good stuff from back in the day!

Maja said...

Love it. Makes me think I should maybe post more often, and have it be more about what we are doing and less about my random thoughts...!